Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pre-Nesting

I know most women around this time in their pregnancy go through a "nesting" phase, where they clean their house and prepare for the baby that's coming.  I am, however, doing a version of pre-nesting...getting the REST of the house in order in preparation for preparing for the new baby.

Two weekends ago, we finished up the garden - I had posted in November about round 1 of the garden landscaping.  Well, over the winter, a few things died and had to be replaced, and a few fillers were needed.  Also, we needed to mix the horrible clay-soil with some real dirt so the plants would be happy.  So when I say "we," Robert removed all the plants from the garden, and tilled the soil to mix it in the clay, then replanted the plants that were still alive.  We went to the nursery and picked up the plants I needed, and planted them.  Now we just have to wait for them to grow!

The next thing we did was FINALLY finish decorating our bedroom!  This post has been a long time coming and I'm happy to say the bedroom is FINISHED!  It literally took months, and here's the breakdown:

August 2012: Created the ombre-lime-green-spoon circle (ultimately was not a mirror)
September 2012: Picked out the material for the curtains (carousel.com), and the curtain rods (JC Penney)
October 2012: Picked out flowers and vase (Hobby Lobby).  My mom did the flower arrangement for me.  After I picked out the paint, Robert painted the bedroom and painted the dresser (Lowes).  Picked out the pillows for the ledge (Garden Ridge). I also bought a sewing machine to make the curtains (Walmart).  Wow!  I didn't realize how much was done in October!
November 2012: Picked out the king size bed (Rooms to Go), sheets and comforter (Target).  Somewhere between October and November I must have sewn the curtains, but I don't remember exactly when.  I just know it took a WHILE and I finished them before Christmas.
December 2012: Robert made the lampstands for the bedside lamps, and got me the lampshades for Christmas!
January 2013: I painted the chevron pattern on the lampshades and the room is FINISHED!

Hours of browsing Pinterest and hours of DIY projects that Pinterest made look so easy.  Phew!  All that's left now is to get nightstands (right now we're using a flimsy table and a file cabinet for my and Robert's side of the bed, respecitively).  And maybe get some free-floating shelves for above the dresser.  Here are some pictures!






Robert's craftsmanship in the lampstand, my DIY-ness in the lampshade
The room from the door

The dresser

The ledge with curtains and pillows

The bed and bedside lamps

Close-up of ombre-spoons

Bedside
The flower arrangement




No comments:

Post a Comment