Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First DIY Project

It's been a LONG time since I've done anything artsy-craftsy, but having spent a good three months on Pinterest, I guess it was only a matter of time...  

When I first joined Pinterest, I saw this pin of a chrysanthemum mirror made of plastic spoon heads, and it wedged itself in my brain.  I knew I would make something like it eventually, I just hadn't decided on a color, or where to put it.  I've only recently decided that I'm going to do our bedroom in dark grey and lime green, so I finally had a color - lime green.  It took weeks and weeks to buy everything I'd need to do this.  A trip to Michael's to get the frames and mirror, SEVERAL trips to HEB to get the spoons - you need a LOT of them, and then a trip to Lowe's for primer.  But I finally had the supplies and the time and the will power to get this done!

I was not very far into it before I realized the lady who initially wrote this "how-to" is full of it.  She put all of the spoons onto the frames and THEN primed them and THEN painted each spspoon individually?!?!  I could never do that without getting all sorts of paint in all sorts of places it isn't meant to be.  So I laid out each individual spoon and primed their front, then flipped them and primed the back, and THEN I painted each ever-loving spoon head the 7 different colors that this mirror requires...

I honestly don't know how you would do it any other way...

It took what felt like forever, but it was really only about 3 hours for 2 days.  1 day to paint, then dry over night, then 1 day to assemble.  And it turned out GREAT!  I can definitely see the imperfections; I'm certainly not that precise, but I love it!

What the lady also failed to mention is that you should mount the mirror to the FRONT of the frames, not behind the frames.  The mirror is too big and would have to be mounted behind the spoon handles, and then you can see not only the back of the spoons, but also the back of the frames and it doesn't look good.  So I think I'm going to hang it over our bed sans mirror, and put a "C" in the middle of it, for our monogram...what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on pinterest today. I thought, "that would look really nice in a green color." Nicely done. I find a lot of DIY writers leave out the important information. Same with recipe writers. A troubleshooting section seems necessary for every project/baked good.
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! I agree, about the DIY writers. Some things they even tote as "DIY" are only DIY if you have an extensive background in construction, tailoring or reading between the lines...

      Delete
  2. Awesome job!! Green looks great for this!

    ReplyDelete