Sunday, March 17, 2013

My Birthday Week

I am definitely old enough that birthdays are not as big of a deal, but this time, for my 28th birthday, I feel like I hit the jackpot!  My birthday is March 13th, which fell on a Wednesday this year, so I wasn't planning on having a huge party or anything, or even a small party.  BUT my day turned into a week-long experience, thanks to Robert, my mom, Starbucks and Ooh La La!

On Tuesday, I went over to my parents for a small party, partly for my birthday and partly because my dad was leaving for Azerbaijan the next day.  My sister, Amanda was also home from College Station, which was great to see her!  My mom made a delicious strawberry cake (my request), we had ice cream, sang "Happy Birthday" and I opened some presents.  Colby had cake for the third time in his life.  He was sitting in my dad's lap while Dad gave him cake, and he was SO cuddly!  I don't know if it was his love of Grandpa or his love of cake that made him so affectionate that night...It was a great way to send my dad off for his second hitch and just the right intimate family setting.

Wednesday was my actual birthday, but it was a work night, so Robert made me a nice meal of Cornish Game Hens at home and we celebrated with sparkling apple cider.  Another very small affair and just perfect to make me feel loved.

Thursday I had my 30 week appointment and was told everything was perfect with me and baby!  So I stopped off at Ooh La La and claimed my free birthday cupcake - mint chocolate! mmmm!  That night after Colby went to bed, I watched my favorite show, Smash, and ate my birthday cupcake
T
Friday, we finally got into our mailbox (it was too full to open Tues-Thurs so Robert stalked the mailman and waited at the mail kiosk until he arrived so that we could get our mail) and I received four birthday cards!  Hooray!

Saturday was a very special day that Robert planned.  He arranged for my mom to watch Colby all day.  So at 10:30 we drove to a state park, had a picnic, Robert got his first experience shelling pecans and they were so good, even though they're a bit late in the season...Then he took me to a "surprise" destination - a jewelry store where I got to pick out diamond earrings!  I'm such a lucky girl!  Then we went to see Oz: The Great and Powerful at the theatre and afterwards had a nice dinner at a restaurant of my choosing.

I felt like such a lucky girl to have a whole week of celebrating my birthday!  But it wasn't over yet - today, during Colby's nap, I went to Starbucks to read magazines and claim my free birthday drink!  I stayed for about an hour, and it was great just to have some "me" time. 

I am so blessed to have such a loving family and husband, and son!  This has been the perfect birthday.  I can't wait to see what this new year of my life brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment